Thursday, December 11, 2008

Heavenly Glory

My kids gave me a new toy to assemble for them yesterday. It's a neat little contraption. It's got a circular center part with a movable protruding 'stick' attached on its end that rotates around the center. You press the button in the middle, then the stick spins round and round. The goal is for the kids to jump over the little stick as it comes around.

Well, my kids were having a ball with this unique gadget, but for some reason, my two year old kept pressing the middle button and kept turning it on and off. It was really messing up the rhthym. I kept telling her to leave it alone and that it will spin on its own- but she just wasn't getting it.

Boy, I was starting to get a little frustrated until I took a step back and realized something. The kids may not be playing with the toy the way I wanted them to play with it, but they were definately satisfying the toy's purpose- to be enjoyed! After realizing that they were enjoying themselves, I was able to enjoy myself as well.

Wow, sometimes it's so easy for us to miss the point of it all. Like the great Kung-Fu philospher Bruce Lee once said, "It's a finger pointing a way to the moon...if you concentrate on the finger, you miss all the heavenly glory."

Whatever minor details in your life that may be causing you a little frustration, take a step back from it and try to see the "heavenly glory" of the situation. If the situation is tough, and things are getting you down, search for what God is trying to do in your life. If you search hard enough, I know that you'll see His loving and merciful hand carefully orchestrating it all for your best.

"...We know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's exactly what I needed to hear. I like to think of myself as relaxed and easy going but find myself very uptight with the kids when they don't seem to be doing things the right way. This was definitely God-sent wisdom.